Sunday, March 15, 2009

R.I.P. Chicago Journal & Hello iCream







The West Town/Wicker Park/Bucktown version of the Chicago Journal is no longer.

It was a weekly, hyper-local newspaper that I enjoyed reading, and had contributed a few articles to, though like most of my journalism stories "that was a long time ago."

Today I walked by the Chicago Journal dispenser en route to the park, and knew it would be empty, as I had read about the paper folding earlier this week.

I will miss its columns, features on local people, and shops, as well as the addictive police blotter, which always had glib headlines that sometimes made too much light of the crimes, but were still fun to read, as were the property transfers. Though I'm in no position to purchase neighborhood property, it's always interesting to see what it's going for, and who's buying it.

Chicago Journal announcement:
http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?SectionID=25&SubSectionID=55&ArticleID=7230&TM=73910.51

That was real news. Sad news. R.I.P.

Near non-news, though kind of news, is the fact that i Cream finally opened. I think it's some kind of space age, new age make your own ice cream out of some weird stuff that doesn't usually go into ice cream franchise. For months it looked abandoned, with a note in the window about it being closed until some sort of special equipment would be installed.

I guess they found their special equipment. When one thing dies, another is born, though I wish Chicago Journal were around to cover the story, and tell me what iCream is. :(

6 comments:

  1. I cream sounds cool, now that I'm an into making my own ice cream.

    I can't click on your links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you cut and paste them? It was just an announcement from the publisher about why they were closing the paper. As you live elsewhere & never read the CJ it probably is not worth clicking on. iCream does sound cool. If I ever try it I will let you know how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I can cut and paste, but a link is so much easier for a lazy gal like me. Did you know there is an add link button right beside the add image button?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea! Now I do. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what ever happen to make your own pizza : P

    ReplyDelete
  6. you mean the chicago home-made pizza company? i think it is still here, off Damen, near Silver Cloud. I could be wrong, too.

    ReplyDelete