Monday, March 30, 2009

The Man Behind the Manhole






Myself, and a Possibly Homeless Man reeking of booze were peering into a manhole at the corner of North, and Western Avenues when Bobby, the man behind the proper car, and maintenance of this particular manhole intervened, and asked us what we were doing.

Bobby was finishing up his lunch, and had been sitting in his truck, apparently watching us watch his manhole.

I couldn't speak for the PHM, but I told Bobby I was on my way to Walgreen's, and had never seen an open manhole.

Bobby asked me if I was a reporter.

No, I told him, and explained that I am unemployed, but that as of last week I have been putting articles up on a site called the Windy Citizen, and on a blog. Bobby looked at me suspiciously, but I assured him that very few people read what I write, I'm not getting paid for it, and it's kind of like therapy.

The PHM asked if he could get in a picture with Bobby, but a bus came right in time. I guess the PHM has money for bus fare, so maybe he's just in really dirty clothing, and really drunk at 1 p.m., and headed back to work, which is more than a can say for myself. We bonded briefly over a shared curiosity of open manholes, though.

Bobby asked me what kind of work I do, and I told him what kind of work I do, and promised I'd check out the AT&T Web site to see the openings.

According to Bobby, this particular manhole is about 12 to 15 ft. deep. The impetus for the work is "vRacks."

vRacks have something to do with the scary HDTV conversion I keep whining about, and I guess Bobby, and his partner were taking turns going in, and out of the manhole to replace the old copper wire with fiber optic cable because, as Bobby noted, "Customers request HDTV, and we have to go down there to determine how many can get the service."

The wort part of Bobby's job? "Dealing with traffic, making sure everyone is safe."

The best part? "Seeing different parts of the city."

2 comments:

  1. This blog was touching, in an odd way. Thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No prob, thanks for reading it. I checked out the AT&T site. Lollygagging around peering into manholes made me feel guilty. I was just on my way to get paper towels, and it ended up taking two hours when you factor in the evil blogging.

    ReplyDelete