Saturday, March 28, 2009

iScream, UScream, Wii All Scream...






... for iCream?

iDon't Know if I'll scream for iCream, because I haven't tasted it yet.

However, I know that iCream, at 1537 N. Milwaukee Ave, in the spot where Language boutique used to be, looks extremely sterile, especially in comparison to Margie's, my favorite, local spot for traditional, handmade, and hand packed ice cream. By traditional I mean that the ice cream at Margie's isn't made in an automated machine using liquid nitrogen, at a temperature of negative 320 degrees like it is at iCream, where the process takes about one minute. Take that, butter churning puritans!

I digress. Back to iCream, which is co-owned by the friendly, and youthful Cora, who is slightly older than me, but looks no older than 25, and who is slightly easier on the eyes than George, the second generation owner of Margie's who looks like he samples a lot of his sweets. Here's a fun fact: George used to be a podiatrist. Yes, that's a foot doctor turned ice cream man.

Shot, I digress, again. George is awesome, and I don't mean to diss on Margie's, where I go at least three times each month every summer until my pants get too tight. Cora is the shiny new kid on the block, a recent business school graduate who used iCream as a final project, partnered with a classmate, and put up a modern, clean looking shingle last April, yet just opened-- not because of coding or licensing issues, but because the initial machinery was pumping out too much nitrogen, and the end result took 10 minutes vs. one, and was more liquid than cream in texture.

The tweaks are fixed, Cora noted, and from the five or so minutes Jer, and I spent scoping the place out, the machines appear to be working, and there were plenty of spoons being shoved into happy mouths. It was pouring rain, and about 35 degrees today, yet despite the weather iCream was packed with people, some possibly determined to at least eat ice cream like it's spring, even though it doesn't feel like it, which I guess is fitting since iCream doesn't quite taste like ice cream, either. Or, at least that's what I overheard someone say. I am looking forward to trying iCream soon, as in once I have a job soon, along with coin for ice cream and/or iCream excursions, but that's a story best left offline. It's another Saturday night, and I ain't got nobody, and I didn't just get paid, either, so I will shortly iCry into a can of soup that eats like a meal. Now, that's impressive copywriting. The soup that eats like a meal. I wonder who thought of that.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds weird, but I'd eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. I will let you know how it tastes. :) it's a rainy night here, and I am still packing. Maybe there's been too many breaks. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a business that's never open and still can't make ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. That would be really funny if it were true, but iCream is open now, though.

    ReplyDelete