Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's Raining Extroverts



The gym that I go to is normally crowded on a Saturday afternoon. Today it was nearly deserted, yet everyone was extremely friendly, even from the moment I tried to walk inside.

"Hey, can I borrow your umbrella?" asked a guy that was standing outside the door, and securing his hoodie around his head. 

"Uh, sure," I replied. "As long as you come back in like an hour or two so I can use it."

He laughed, and opened the door. I kept my umbrella, and on the way in I was thinking that in the two months I've been going to this gym, he is one of the few people to initiate a conversation--not that I mind, I like keeping to myself, and will probably get an mp3 player/ipod knockoff, so I can walk around with earbuds on like everyone else. 

In the locker room a woman noticed I was having trouble with my combination lock. I kept thinking it was the locker, not my lock, and was probably looking insane as I repeatedly slammed the door, and tried to secure the lock. I always seem to have issues with the doors there, which I guess is more of an issue with my lock. The woman offered to help. I ended up going to the front desk, and borrowing one of their locks. It worked.  

On the elliptical machine a few minutes later, I was staring into space, and half watching a basketball game, the University of Kentucky against someone else. A woman came up, and asked me if I minded if she changed the channel. 

"It depends," I told her. "What are you changing it to?"

"Sex and the City," she said. 

"Cool," I replied. "I can't hear it anyway, I just read the subtitles."

"Don't you have headphones?" she asked. "You can plug the headphones into the machine."

Though I didn't have headphones with me, I have some somewhere in my apartment, and will bring them next time.  Reading subtitles is getting annoying, though while watching sitcoms like Everybody Loves Raymond I feel like I'm learning more about sketch, and scriptwriting by reading vs. listening. 

So, I guess I learned that 1) People in gyms are friendly on rainy days, perhaps because it brings out those that need to leave their homes no matter what, and 2) That it's now possible to hear the television while I work out provided I find my headphones.

Now, I'm showered, relaxed, and looking forward to going to a friend's place to chill out. I will bring one of the frozen pizzas to share with her, and I have the tarot reading & JohnP to thank for it.  My friend doesn't need to know how I got the pizza, though. 







No comments:

Post a Comment