Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Home



A few people, unrelated, over the past few weeks, mentioned that "it's not hard to find you," in reference perhaps- okay, yes, maybe- to my blogging addiction.

When stuff like this happens I tend to cringe inward, and withdraw from "sharing," though I don't stop writing for myself.

But, I'm obviously addicted. So, to the six readers I am aware of, here are a few shots from a recent trip back to the suburb I lived in until I was 10 years old. We lived in a townhouse on a block with tons of other kids, so it was a pretty good time from what I recall, and being prone to sentiment I seem to recall a lot. Ahmed's song, "I'm not a kid anymore," video below, came to mind as we drove out of Hanover Park.

Also pictured is my niece on a hill at an art fair, and a picture of a photo print that I purchased of a pirate type ship headed on choppy waters toward the city. It was $50, and probably too much to spend, but I could not stop staring at it.

The photographer whom took the shot said it was taken maybe 20 years ago, and he was on a small power boat, which has since been sold ("kids," he explained), and the ship which was part of a regatta from Michigan heading toward Chicago just "came out of nowhere."

I liked his story about snapping the picture, and the fact he seemed sentimental as he recalled the story, and wistful about the boat he no longer owns. Today, he wears a land yard with a name tag, and travels the suburban art fair circuit, the pirate ship photo still his best seller all these years later, in the same way a band continually plays its big hits over, and over. It seemed like a pretty slow day at the fair, with thin crowds, and perhaps even thinner pocketbooks, and it just kind of made me wish artists like this photographer could get by a little bit easier, though everyone in almost every industry is probably wishing that same thing right about now.







No comments:

Post a Comment