Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ground Control









Once again, I have poster's remorse, this time in relation to a post I put up yesterday on windycitizen.com about a mass note of intro from a new editor at a widely read Chicago daily tabloid/newspaper that shall remain unnamed.

At the time I posted it I had been up for almost two days straight, with maybe four hours of sleep, and I was quite grumpy. The impetus for the post was a gut reaction to the editor's words, and nothing more. I wasn't intending to bash anyone, or be "unprofessional" as a commenter accused me of being, though technically to be unprofessional, or professional carries the implication of actually having a profession, which I'm working on.

Personally, I am sad that our society has turned into a nation of tweeters, and after reading a NYT evening on the town column with the founders of Twitter a few weeks ago I felt even more unsettled by the Twitter phenomenon, and the tiny, lit screens everyone seems to have in their palm, or pocket these days. I'm not able to put into words why I feel the way I do just yet, but at some point I'll figure it out, and probably tweet about it like everyone else.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/fashion/10nite.html

I'm thankful for a lot of things right now, and my refrigerator which often functions as a grounding message of ground control along with my Ryan Adam's "Easy, Tiger" poster is once again reminding me of the important things in life. Yesterday I missed having lunch with a friend (important), and going to a meeting at the library (important) because I was scrambling to finish a weekly neighborhood newsletter that keeps growing because I keep adding stuff to it each week (not as important), because stuff keeps happening, and I can't stop.

Another important thing I've failed to do is load mother's day pics to a photo sharing site so that my mother can create a slide show, or collage, or print them out, or do whatever it is she always seems to do with photos. I had put them on Facebook, but they were too small, and she requested of me one week ago that I do this, and I have failed because I was too busy working on other random (and not as important) stuff.

These images are from my fridge. I have been desperately trying to "talk less, say more" my entire life, with limited success. Nevertheless, the Swedish proverb has followed me to many cubicles, along with some of the other stuff here. Now I'm awake, well rested, caffeinated, and off to take care of some important stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment