Saturday, April 18, 2009

Foot in Mouth Over the New Meters


Just a few days ago I made a comment on the Windy Citizen about how "maybe I'm old fashioned," but I prefer parking meters that take quarters vs. swiping a credit card, because psychologically I don't like using a credit card more than necessary.

Now that I've actually driven somewhere in the city, as I had to do today because I was running late, I'm retracting any nostalgia I've exhibited toward old-style meters.

In addition to swiping plastic, another thing not good for one's psyche is trusting someone to feed your meter while you're in a three hour class, and then returning during break to an expired meter, and a helper with bloodshot eyes, and booze on her breath playing dumb, as if your deal born on the street was something from way-back-when that she was trying to recall, though it had only been 90 minutes ago when she promised you that sure, she'll feed your meter.

Maybe it was understandable that MC took the money, despite the initial, extra $1 I gave her in pure profit, and the other $1 I promised her upon my return if the meter were fed. I had even been stressing about that other dollar during class, and thinking about how I'd have to break a $5 somewhere first to make sure I had the "thank you" $1 on hand.

The MC- (I call her MC because she's always standing in front of the door at the five, and dime near where the meter is located) saw the $2 worth of quarters, and the bonus $1 as an instant $3, whereas I was thinking that the $1 I'd give upon my return would be an incentive to feed the meter.

I guess the credit card boxes will be easier than tiny disappointments related to the human spirit. I was being naive. She was being poor, and thirsty. Bring on the boxes, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment