Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"This is the Mayor's Thing"


Ad spots on the radio, on the TV, on bus carrels, on building walls, and the dog, and pony "community forum" traveling shows just weren't enough, it's time to penetrate the Chicago 2016 Olympic vision into the earlobes of every single rider on the CTA #72 North Avenue bus at rush hour.

I'd heard an Olympic athlete testimonial when I attended a forum at DePaul University for residents of the 32nd Ward, hosted by Ald. Scott Waguespack. There was a tanned, hunky guy named Jeff, a kayaker from South Bend, Indiana sitting in a chair at the front of the air conditioned lecture hall. Jeff told us all that the Olympics changed his life, and he has forged lifelong friendships with people from dozens of countries.

Jeff's voice wasn't the last I'd heard from an Olympian, thanks to an undisclosed investment from Chicago 2016 which skirted the CTA's rules about businesses advertising on the CTA's intercoms, and managed to purchase A LOT of dedicated airspace. In-between the canned, automated voice announcing each bus stop, there was the trademarked "Let Friendship Shine" message, and first person testimonials from other athletes. Again, and again, and again. It was a long bus ride, or at least it felt very long.

Does Lori Healey, chair of the 2016 Committee, and a former Daley Chief of Staff whom left her post in 2008 to chair the Chicago 2016 Committee, ride the bus? I doubt it. Perhaps she is too busy helping to get an extra $20 million from the Chicago Park District that was pledged under the radar recently, for the purpose of building a canoe, and kayak slalom course intended to be a white water rafting park to promote tourism when the 17 days in the summer of 2016 are over, a rafting attraction that not even the Friends of the Park wants, or at least in healthier economic times maybe some people would want.

Call me a pessimist, but I have a hard time getting jazzed about what could be happening in our city in 2016 when the generously funded Olympic euphoria is eclipsed by the reality of what is happening right now. An increasing number of suburban, and urban poor cannot afford diapers, and to me this is the story that should be on everyone's mind. Per this Tribune story by writer Georgia Garvey, a pastor in the suburbs was holding an infant for a parishioner as they were at the food bank. The pastor, Jim Swarthout, noticed that the diaper was wet, and the woman replied that she can only afford two diapers each day, and that she wipes them, and puts them back on her infant. To compound matters, most of the people too poor to afford diapers do not have laundry machines, and most laundromats will not allow the washing of soiled cloth diapers. Daycare centers don't allow cloth diapers, either, and they can't be purchased using food stamps. Soiled diapers lead to infections, and skin rashes. Talk about a frightening entry into the world. In America? **

Under the suggestion of somebody whom saw my update on Facebook about being annoyed by the Olympics "messages" (that's how they got around it; it's a message, not an ad- as if there's a difference) I called #311, the city's nonemergency line at 9:23 a.m. this morning.

A very friendly Miss (or Ms.? ) Dabbs answered the call at 311. I introduced myself, and told Miss Dabbs that I am a rider of the CTA, and that I am one of the near 50% of Chicagoans not in support of the Olympic bid, and that I do not wish to hear the ads on the bus. Miss Dabbs told me gaily that she "likes the bus," but that she has not heard any messages. I asked her if she has any opinion on the Olympics. She gave a hearty laugh, and said, "I can't really say!"

Miss Dabbs was very helpful, though, and supplied both the telephone number of the CTA Administrative Offices (312-664-7200) as well as its address (567 West Lake Street)

When I called the CTA's Administrative Line, I spoke with Sherise, a Customer Service Rep working the phones in the CTA's office.

Sherise took down my bus number- #72, North Ave- and noted that they are taking all the complaints. She wouldn't tell me exactly how many complaints she's received, but something about her tone told me I'm definitely not the only one that has called in. There are 14 customer service reps in the office, she said when I inquired.

Like with Miss Dabbs, I asked Sherise if she has an opinion about the 2016 Olympics.

She refused to answer, and laughed it off, saying, "This is the mayor's thing. I don't know. We're taking all the complaints, though."

Do you ride the CTA? I asked Sherise.

"I do, but I have my iPod on," she replied.

(** Diaper drive, now through Dec. 31st. We're (hopefully) going to fill a local company's moving truck with diapers. More on this in next week's Pipeline eNewsletter. If you'd like to subscribe to the 1x weekly eNewsletter, sent via email only for now, with a focus on the Wicker Park Bucktown community, email streetsofwicker@hotmail.com with the message of "subscribe." Thanks)

4 comments:

  1. As you know, I ride the CTA very often since it is my primary mode of transportation. Somehow, when I PAY for a ride, I do not expect to have to hear advertisements. As annoying as cell phone talkers who like to share their conversations with everyone else, at least we know that they, too, have also paid their fare. But to have commercials piped in??? Wait, we paid for this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we didn't pay to hear those messages We paid for a bus fare- a city service- and are being assaulted by PRIVATELY funded messages. How is it that the exercise machines in some Chicago Park District workout rooms are very old, yet the Park District can afford to back **$20 million** for a prosed canoe and slalom park that might become a whitewater rafting attraction after the Olympics. If I want to go Whitewater rafting I'll go to central New York, West Virginia, or Montana, WTF??!! What bus do you ride, TC? On your next ride, take a survey of how many people on the bus do not want to hear those "messages." If we get input from lots of bus routes, concrete data, we can send directly to the IOC Committee. Not as if it will help. Chicago has Oprah, and Obama, and the Daleys, and sadly will probably be selected though half the city is opposed to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about the print ads on trains/buses?

    could the cta use that as a precedent?

    just curious -- i'm not defending the audio ads. just heard them for the first time the other day, and got seriously pissed off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By precedent, do you mean justification?

    Print ads on CTA, and on busses are legal, though the city just tried to pass an ordinance not allowing pedicabs to have ads on them, per a story I read in Time Out, which seems like BS. I guess only the city wants to cash in on ad revenues,and not indy pedicab operators not affiliated with the city, but, back to the audio messages.... they seriously piss me off, too, and every single person I asked about it on the #72 (5 out of 5, it's a slam dunk of Non Support for Audio Messages).

    To tell people to just "tune them out," or to have to wear headphones to avoid them is just not cool. I work from home, and in some ways am disconnected from everyday hustle and bustle, so when I am in public, or on a bus, I try to NOT have other stuff streaming through my personal universe 24/7. Yet now, the Olympics are fucking with my earlobes, and I don't want to hear athletes backing the bid between automated announcements of the next bus stops. The Audio Messages will run through Oct. 2nd, and if the city gets the bid- and if no legal action is taken against the CTA to stop the audio "messages," well then we have *many years* of audio messages leading up to 2016 on public transport.

    ReplyDelete