Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Max & The Fairy Godmother Card



I am not a fan of calling older people "cute," but "Max"* is one of those people that is just, well, cute.

He said I have permission to blog about him, though I'm not sure he knows what a blog is. He also told me last Wednesday at the free caffe de luca tarot night that I should go to the Oprah taping on Michigan Avenue today because "It would really be something to see." (I did not see the Oprah show, but I did work on the neighborhood eNewsletter all morning, and until just now. An editor is checking for mistakes since I usually make plenty of them.)

Also this past Wednesday "Max" updated me on some progress with a woman at the senior center. They've been rehearsing for a play together, and he informed me that he finally got her digits. He wanted to know what would happen next. I told him, like I say to everyone, that I do not know, or can predict the future, and that all I can do is interpret the literal meaning of the cards drawn. I also asked him what had happened with the other lady, the one he'd been trying to coordinate a date with for the better part of a year? Apparently there had been some frustration, miscommunication, and resentment over him taking the train all the way out to meet her, and then her not extending the common courtesy of picking him up at the station, and forcing him to walk a near mile with his cane. I concurred he should probably move on. What is it with women these days?!

Well, quite cheesily, Fred drew the Nine of Cups, which is like the Fairy godmother card, per my trusty reference book of choice, Power Tarot by Trish MacGregor, and Phyllis Vega. The nine of cups seriously means that whatever you wish for will come true. Really? Fred asked me. Really, I had replied.

So, I'm thinking if he wants things to work out, they probably will.

Speaking of trains, Max told me about his past few weeks. He had done something that I thought was pretty cool, and might even imitate. He had been to Carbondale, in southern Illinois at least 40 years ago, and figured it might be nice to get away, and visit the small town again. Recently laid off from many years of loyal service working as a security guard, he did not want to spend too much money on the vacation, either.

How much was the train ticket?, I asked him.

About $65 round trip, he told me, but added that for me it would be more.

"You're not a senior," he stated.

No, I guess I'm not.

And, it wasn't until I wrote this blog that I realized the woman that didn't pick him up at the station might be the no longer love interest in Carbondale, which is a further distance than Columbus, Ohio. Illinois is vertically a very big state, kind of like Abe Lincoln was as a person. Boo on her.

** Name, and photo altered.

No comments:

Post a Comment