Tuesday, August 18, 2009

$2 lunch West of Western




Drained from walking around the neighborhood, I flushed the newsletter out of my head, and headed west, to check out a friend's new condo, and to sit on a bench in the park.

Burger King, or a buggy? The choice was clear. I got a mini jibarito for $1.25, along with a $0.75 cent soda, and soon watched the pigeons watch me, as they circled near the bench where I was sitting. I read part of this past Sunday's NYT, and found its magazine's cover story,
"What's a Big City Without a Newspaper?"
interesting. While there's been no shortage of coverage on the death of newspapers, and its future, this story focused on an unlikely cheerleader to keep a Philadelphia daily going: a former PR spin doc with a lot of influence, and passion for the printed word.

An excerpt from writer Michael Sokolove's story is as follows: Journalists still know how to gather news. And the Internet is a step forward in disseminating it. What's broken is the pipeline that sends money back to where the content is created."


I hadn't seen the word pipeline used in that way to describe what's going on, but it makes sense. Pictured is a mini jibarito, and a woman named Jamie, and her friend's puppy, Munchi, whom were ahead of me in line at the buggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment